[Click to download the Environmental Awareness and Education Act of 2008 (Republic Act No. 9512)]
Environmental education shall encompass environmental concepts and principles, environmental laws, the state of international and local environment, local environmental practices, the threats of environmental degradation and its impact on human well-being, the responsibility of the citizenry to the environment and the value of conservation, protection and rehabilitation of natural resources and the environment in the context of sustainable development.
It shall cover both theoretical and practicum modules comprising of activities, projects, programs including but not limited to, tree planting, waste minimization, segregation, recycling and composting, freshwater and marine conservation, forest management and conservation, relevant livelihood opportunities and economic benefits, and other such programs and undertakings to aid the implementation of the different environmental protection laws.
In the said law, the role of the different agencies were defined as follows::
- The CHED and TESDA – shall include environmental education and awareness programs in the National Service Training Program a part of the Civic Welfare Training Service component required for all baccalaureate degree courses and vocational courses with a curriculum of at least two years under Republic Act No. 9163
- The DepEd, CHED, TESDA, DENR and DOST- shall lead implementation of public education and awareness programs on environmental protection and conservation through collaborative interagency and multi-sectoral effort
- The DENR- shall have primary responsibility of periodically informing all agencies concerned on current environmental updates, including identifying priority environmental education issues for national action and providing strategic advice on the environmental education activities
- The DepEd, CHED, TESDA, DENR, DOST, DSWD and barangay units shall ensure that the information is disseminated to the subject students
- The DOST is mandated to create programs that will ensure that students receive science-based quality information on environmental issues to encourage the development of environment-friendly solutions, devices, equipment and facilities
- The DepEd, CHED and TESDA with DENR and other relevant agencies shall undertake capacity-building programs nationwide such as trainings, seminars, workshops on environmental education, development and production of environmental education materials, teacher-education courses and related livelihood programs
It also declared the month of November of every year as “Environmental Awareness Month”.